Holy Guardian Angels
Roman Catholic Cemetery
The first recorded death in the
Englefeld area was in
1904. It was Frank
Kolling, the infant son of pioneers Anton and Maria Kolling. They had
arrived in 1903 from Minnesota and were the first to settle in this
area. Frank was born in their new log cabin on April 14, 1904
and he died on May 21,1904. Since there was no church building or
cemetery established, the Englefeld History Book indicates he was
buried by the family's log cabin.
The current cemetery site was likely established around 1911 when the
new frame church was built. At that time the location would have been
mostly open prairie. The spruce trees that now surround the site were
planted under the direction of Father Marcellus in 1930.
Lieman dug graves by hand with little more than his spade between
1912 when he arrived and 1972 when he died. He also maintained the
graveyard for many years. Others who have looked after the graveyard
were Nick Martin, Casper Schulte and Mike Miskolczi. Mike is
the current caretaker and through special arrangement he also maintains
the Union Cemetery.
Click here to view a
table of the names of all the people recorded to have been buried in
The list can be sorted by clicking on any column heading.
It is the most accurate list available but errors and omissions do